AFTER THE FIRE
After experiencing the trauma of a fire, it can be very difficult to know what to do next. The following information is provided to assist you in this time of need:
- Contact your insurance company and notify them of this loss. They will provide further instructions to you.
- If you do not have insurance, contact a local disaster relief service:
- If your gas or electricity has been disconnected, do not attempt to reconnect it yourself. Contact the appropriate utility company for instructions:
- Notify your mortgage company or landlord of the fire.
- Obtain a copy of the fire report. You can download Public Records Request Form on this site.
- Check with your accountant or the IRS about special benefits for people recovering from fire loss.
- Download the U. S. Fire Administration booklet, “After the Fire: Returning to Normal”.